Learner Drivers and Car Insurance

Learner Drivers and Car Insurance

So you’ve finally got your provisional licence and you’re all set to start learning to drive. If you’ve just turned 17, this can be a very challenging time in your life. However, the one thing that many learner drivers overlook is the small matter of car insurance and to some degree you can be forgiven for this. After all, the world of driving is very new to you. So, in the following few words we aim to give you an idea of what you should be doing.

Using a Driving Instructor

If you intend to use a qualified driving instructor, they will ALWAYS have insurance to cover you when you drive their vehicles. In fact, this is one thing you should check when you’re looking for someone who either works alone or is part of a driving school. Check to make sure the cover is fully comprehensive and should (God Forbid) there is an accident, you won’t be held liable.

Using a Friend or Family Member’s Car

This might be trickier than you think, and it’s worth having a conversation with Mum or Dad before you decide what you would like to do with this. You see getting some practice in when you’re not due an official driving lesson can help you become more adept with your driving skills a bit quicker.

This means you might not need to spend as much money as you first thought on lessons (although it’s highly advisable you at least take a few with a qualified instructor). When it comes to insurance, it all depends on the type of policy your parents have. Sometimes it’s just a case of making a phone call and adding you to the policy however, there might be instances when an insurance company won’t accept you because you don’t have a full driving licence yet.

In the case of friends, they can do the same but again there will be stipulations. You won’t be allowed to drive unless you’re supervised by the insurance policy holder, and this person has to be at least 21 years old and has had a full driving licence for 3 years. Some car insurance companies will stipulate the age of the policy holder should be 25 simply because of the risk that’s involved.

Your Own Car Insurance

If you’re lucky enough to have your own car, or you would just prefer to take out your own insurance, there are many large insurance companies on the market that offer all types of policies. Some will let you take out a policy for as little as 7 days and others will insure you for 12 months.

Lots of them will also offer you incentives when you take a policy out with them when you’ve gained your full driving licence, so this might be a good idea if you want to save some money once you’re allowed to drive on your own.

The upshot is that you WILL need to make sure you have car insurance when you take to the roads no matter if it’s with a friend, family member or an instructor so make sure you’re covered.


Comments are closed.